Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Gallery Rating

Here I'm looking for a way to enable artists to recommend galleries, and to warn each other about bad experiences with galleries, dealers, museums, etc...

In my professional life, I have made many bad experiences, with galleries damaging work, loosing work, not putting together a reasonable opening, not paying, etc... Yet, as artists we are almost entirely unable to defend ourselves. I've found there to be a void when it comes to REAL supportive artists organizations, especially here in the USA. And if we don't pull together, we will continue to be victimized by others.

Artists are often not in a position, nor willing to pursue their rights using the law, and this lack of enforcement is often seen as a window of opportunity.

I did intent to start a database with these ratings, offering galleries to reply and to rectify the situation, to avoid a bad rating. But when I asked fellow artists, there was grave concern about being retaliated against in one way or another (e.g. being sued by a gallery, or loosing a working relationship, not getting paid, etc...). In a blog however, there is some (limited) privacy and of couse good old 'freedom of speach'. I don't intent it to become a blind hateful scenary, but I do invite the galleries in question to reply and make things right again.

  • What do you all think?
  • Would you participate?
  • Are you afraid of retaliation?
  • If so, how can this be avoided?
  • Do you have good and/or bad experiences you'd like to share?
  • How should the rating be organized?
  • Anything elese?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,

I see you are in Canada now??

I have only good experiences, and in particular with the exellent Galerie Gora in Montreal, where I have been artist in recidense for 2 years now.

I also started a blog on Journalspace last year, it's a great experience so far!

Take care,

Elin

Anonymous said...

Your work is beautiful. I saw rothko's work as "eh", in comparison to your paintings...I am inspired and renewed.

Just wanted to say thank you.

Anonymous said...

I came across your web site via my research on Fractal images. I spent a long time looking at your images and admiring your technique and your way with words as well..but alas don't want you to get a big head,lol. I have had an intresting journey with the gallery thing . I pushed, I backed off I got pissed off , depressed ..fed up. The last 4 years I figured damn it .I'll do it my way and just get bigger exposure. So I did via TV. Still the gallery/artist relationship is something that people seem to understand.
I noticed a comment about the gallery in Montreal Gora ? Musicians have a tern called'pay to play' As an artist how do you/me/them feel about it. I have been contacted by Gallery Gora and just blew it off.

a stahl said...

thanks for your posts. I'm actually in California, but have heard from Gallery Gora. However, I do not work with galleries on a 'rental' basis. In my experience, and common sense saying so too, these set-ups are bound for the gallery not trying to actually sell your work. Why would they, they're getting paid anyway. I believe a commission basis allows both the artist and the gallery to benefit from sales, thus encouraging both to do their best. Since I am NOT a sales person (more like a hermit), I have to rely on the gallery to do their job. While I can concentrate on creating the best work I can. I believe this is a fair and successful approach. Of course, according to the lay-person, the fact that only 50% of the sale price goes to the artist shocks them, and appalls them. But I defenitly understand and appreciate the fact that I do NOT have to do the selling!
Anne

Anonymous said...

anne, are you the one that takes your portfolio to the gallery to get the show or do you have a rep. Then that would be another cut, though well worth it. I find it time consuming to talk to dealers and for me follow up to be strung along.
nadina tandy , canada

Anonymous said...

Hey Anne,

Here in the States, the saying is quit whining!
Most artists especially from the UK/IRE are suffering from lack of understanding of how to market and present their work and communicate with dealers. consultants and private clients. I would suspect that you would not get much support for any kind of rating idea. Move on already.

Anonymous said...

maybe you could make it more about things an artist can do beforehand to avoid bad experiences. or maybe only post positive experiences.
if nothing else, it would be nice to have a place where many artists can come together online.

a stahl said...

OK. Here is a recommendation from me.
I have been working with a dealer in Austin, Texas called 'Eaton Fine Art' and it is a pleasure to work with them. They are professional, curteous and know their business. Are rare find indeed.
Check them out at: http://www.eatonfineart.com/